[Question #79347]: Gateway computer hangs using 9.04

I have a Gateway DX310X that runs 9.04 well most of the time.  However, I've experienced a hard hang on two occasions, both while using the mouse to scroll in Firefox.  On one third occasion, it hung in the middle of logging in after rebooting from one of those previous hangs.  It hung while playing the tune you hear when logging in.

I admit not using this hardware a great deal with Ubuntu, only a total of four or five hours or so including installation.  However, the hardware is used with the original WinXP quite often as the family computer.  I have it set up to dual boot to evaluate various aspects of 9.04.

Anyway, I'd be happy to send along information to help resolve this issue.  For example, how can I get it to core dump and get that analyzed?  The hang is such that I'm not able to get to any console screens; the keyboard and mouse appear to be useless.  I'll try logging into the host from another computer on the network next time it happens.

I did a few searches of bugs and forum issues, but none seemed to quite match up.  Thanks in advance for your time.