ubuntugis team mailing list archive

Re: Ubuntu-GIS - how to help?

Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Alan Boudreault wrote:
>> Hi Cameron,
>>
>> I'm wondering if i could do something to help you?
> Yes, lots.
>
> I think the first steps is to define what needs to be done, and how to
> do it - which is what I was doing by tweaking the debian-gis
> thermometer script to support ubuntugis.
>
> One we collectively know what needs to be done, then people can
> volunteer to take on chunks of work that interest them.
>
> Then package something, and write the process involved in packaging so
> that others can follow your footsteps. The process should be put be
> linked from here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS#For%20developers%20and%20packagers
> (I haven't gone through this process yet so am still on a learning
> curve).
>
> Open questions for me:
> * What are the deadlines for getting packages into the various
> Debian/Ubuntu repositories?
I don't think deadlines are very important. We just do the job as soon
as we have time to do it. I want to clarify something: i don't really
care about the real ubuntu packages status because it will always be out
of date. Ubuntu packages are always synced with the debian unstable ones
by the Ubuntu maintainers. That's why i prefer to work in parallel with
DebianGIS AND upload lastest packages in our ubuntugis repository (on
lauchpad). This repository is not related to Ubuntu but will be the
official UbuntuGIS repository for those who need up-to-date packages.
> * What is the upstream status and versions of all the Ubuntu packages?
> How should we maintain this information? (This should be shared
> between DebianGIS and UbuntuGIS).
About the upstream status, isn't your thermometer what is actually doing?

> * How should we track issues and status of packaging?
We will need a BTS for sure... we could begin with the lauchpad one. But
again, we need a private lauchpad ;)
> * What versioning system should we use?
Lauchpad offers a free Git repository (i think). Even if i'm absolutly
not familiar with Git.. if we don't have any place to setup a SVN on, we
can use the git.

> A very high value contribution would be to package one of the java GIS
> packages as this has not been done yet and will help open up the whole
> java stack to packaging.
> Ladon Blake, this might be something you would be interested in, by
> packaging Open JUMP?
>
>>  Also, did you see my
>> post on Ubuntu-GIS Mailing List named " Public mailing list" ?
>>
> Yes, I had a look into adding non-developers to the email list and
> couldn't work out how to do it with the Ubuntu framework. We could set
> up another list on OSGeo infrastructure, but I'm loath to create yet
> another email list.
>> Regards,
>> Alan

Alan