Assumpte: Translating Ubuntu Touch into Simplified Chinese
Data: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:29:57 +0200
De: David Planella <david.planella@xxxxxxxxxx>
A: ubuntu-l10n-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ubuntu-l10n-zh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Xu, Aron" <happyaron@xxxxxxxxxx>,
 Eleanor Chen <chenyueg@xxxxxxxxx>, "Hou, ZhengPeng"
<zhengpeng.hou@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,  Carlos Gong <bfsugxy@xxxxxxxxx>,
YunQiang Su <wzssyqa@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Translators,

On the 26th of June Ubuntu on phones and tablets will be shown at the
Mobile Asia Expo. It will be a fantastic opportunity to drive the
adoption of Ubuntu in Mainland China.

As all of you know, a key element will be localized content. We are
working against the clock to make all parts of Ubuntu on phones
translatable, in the same way as we've done for Ubuntu in the desktop.
We are now at a stage where Unity and the core apps on phones can be
easily translated.

As translators, you've been part of the project to bring Ubuntu to the
masses. We're now going a step further that could bring Ubuntu to a user
base several orders of magnitude higher than on the desktop. As such, I
would like to ask you for your help in making Ubuntu succeed in China,
by translating Unity and the core/system apps in preparation for the
expo at the end of June.

These packages contain very few strings each, and I bet it shouldn't
take more than one hour or two for a translator to do them all. Some of
them are even finished (e.g. the Clock or the Browser), and some of them
are completed with suggestions that simply need to be reviewed. Here are
the templates:

Unity 8:
https://translations.launchpad.net/unity/phablet/+pots/unity8/zh_CN/+translate

Core apps:
[Full list] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-phone-coreapps
[Weather] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-weather-app
[Calc] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-calculator-app
[Calendar] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-calendar-app

System apps:
[Full list] https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-touch-preview
[Phone] https://translations.launchpad.net/phone-app
[Media Player] https://translations.launchpad.net/mediaplayer-app
[Gallery] https://translations.launchpad.net/gallery-app

Can I ask you for your help in translating these few apps? Do you think
you'd manage to do it by the end of the week?

Thanks!

Cheers,
David.

P.S. While the user interface to change languages is not yet finished,
it's entirely possible to change language to Simplified Chinese through
the command line. I'm currently preparing some documentation on how to
do it, but if you want to know how to do it in the meantime, just get in
touch with me.

Follow ups