ubuntukylin-members team mailing list archive

[Blueprint desktop-r-ubuntukylin-inputmethod-ibus-or-fcitx] Using ibus or fcitx as default in Ubuntu Kylin

Blueprint changed by Anthony Wong:

Whiteboard changed:
  [Background information]
- The objective of the UbuntuKylin project is to create a variant of Ubuntu that is more suitable for Chinese users. So a good Chinese input method is a key factor of UbuntuKylin. At present there are a variety of Chinese input method in Ubuntu and each of them has its own characteristics and fixed user group. Ibus and fictx are the most two popular ones. We should choose one as default in UbuntuKylin.
+ The objective of the Ubuntu Kylin project is to create a variant of Ubuntu that is more suitable for Chinese users. So a good Chinese input method is a key factor of Ubuntu Kylin. At present there are a variety of Chinese input method in Ubuntu and each of them has its own characteristics and fixed user group. Ibus and fictx are the most two popular ones. We should choose one as default in UbuntuKylin.

  It seems that Kubuntu team is also doing the evaluation on ibus vs.
  fcitx, https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-r-kubuntu-
  development, but this work item is still 'TODO'.

  [Topics to be discussed]
  - Fcitx is really better than ibus, seen from user experience and technology?
  - What is the effect of switching ibus to fcitx as default, such as control center, dash and so on?
  - What is the coping strategy of input method in Unity Next?

  [gunnarhj] I adapted im-config for Ubuntu recently. If there is a need
- to modify it to make fcitx the default in UbuntuKylin (I don't think
+ to modify it to make fcitx the default in Ubuntu Kylin (I don't think
  there is), please let me know.

--
Using ibus or fcitx as default in Ubuntu Kylin
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-r-ubuntukylin-inputmethod-ibus-or-fcitx