Re: Ubuntu One on KDE4---how?

On Sun, 2009-05-17 at 10:37 -0700, Nathan Haines wrote:
> Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> > is there a way to use Ubuntu One on KDE4 or do I really have to
> > install Gnome packages?
> >
> There is no KDE client at the moment, although there will be by October
> when Ubuntu 9.10 comes out.
>
> Until then, the only way to use the file syncronization of Ubuntu One is
> to install the GNOME client.

You don't need to use GNOME to use the client. There are some GNOME
packages which will need to be installed though, yes. As the client
provides a Nautilus extension, and uses gnome-keyring, several GNOME
packages will have to be installed, for the client to run. However,
the client should be usable under KDE as well, given the availability
of the dependencies.

For the keyring, it would be nice if we had a cross-desktop solution
to the problem, so that both desktops used the same piece of software
for the keyring. There are lots of core pieces in general that would
be great if both desktops shared them. Perhaps we'll be able to work
on getting that to happen as well.