Re: Privacy

Hi Carsten,

On 07/17/2009 05:33 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:
> What is the privacy status of things I put in my Ubuntu One folders?
>
> I'd like to use Ubuntu One for backup of personal files. Is the
> information encrypted while stored on Canonical's servers, og should I
> encrypt the data myself before putting it in the Ubuntu One folders, if
> I want to be sure?

The data is encrypted while transporting over the internet, and then the
file data is kept separate from the file name and compressed. So someone
who broke into S3 would not be able to tell which file is yours, and
someone who broke into the filename db would not be able to access the
file data.

However, we understand and agree that additional levels of encryption
are possible and desirable. For more details and to be kept up to date
on progress, you can subscribe to this bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+bug/375289

I've also heard reports from some users that they are happily using
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EncFS with Ubuntu One, but I haven't tried
it out myself yet.
--
Elliot Murphy | https://launchpad.net/~statik/