Re: CouchDB 1.0 SRU to 10.04 LTS

On 25/11/10 15:51, John Rowland Lenton wrote:
Hi all!

Because of scaling and security improvements, the Ubuntu One server-side
CouchDB servers are running CouchDB 1.0, which is the version in Ubuntu
10.10, rather than the 0.10 that is in 10.04 LTS. While this upgrade
enabled replication to scale to the number of users we have and allowed
us to open the service to users in 10.10, the replication protocol
changed between the two versions, and thus users on 10.04 are currently
unable to synchronize their Couch databases using the Ubuntu One
service.

As you have mentioned, 10.04 is an LTS release. I am sure that I am not alone in the Ubuntu community in being passed the point in my life where I want to, or have the time to, re-install my PC every 6 months and as a result tend to wait for LTS releases to upgrade. As a home user I have found the Ubuntu One synchronisation to be very useful and will be very unhappy to be forced to upgrade to a non-LTS release on all of my PCs or loose use of it, especially since you are still offering the very same LTS release for download. I'm sure others, especially home users, will share this sentiment.

At the same time I can fully understand the wish to keep the commitment that you have made to keep the LTS release stable as a base for developers to built on, in fact this is necessary to maintain credibility within the developer community.

We are asking for an exception to the LTS update rules to update the
couchdb package to 1.0. We have done some testing of the upgrade at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/CouchDBSRU but there is the concern that
people are using CouchDB in 10.04 via something other than desktopcouch,
and that the upgrade could potentially break these applications. In
order to address these concerns we are asking from input of the wider
Ubuntu developer community and of people using CouchDB in Ubuntu 10.04
LTS ("Lucid").

Can a side-by-side install be done (as I believe is possible with Python)? Alternatively, would it be possible to provide a compatibility layer for the 0.1 protocol on the Ubuntu One servers to allow 10.04 to synchronise with the existing version of couchDB?

We've created a one-step anonymous survey to gather the data. Please
find the time to answer the simple question presented at

     http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/couchdb

Aditionally, please feel free to forward this to people who might want
to provide feedback on this issue.

Thank you,