Re: Building UFL on SymPy?

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 12:03:06PM +0200, Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:

> I talked with Pearu a little bit yesterday about SymPy and our
> requirements for UFL. We might consider building UFL on top of SymPy.
> That would give us a lot of symbolic functionality for free, and it
> seems to be rather easy to extend with our own specialized objects.
> (In that case, we should use the newer sympycore version, not the
> current tip). If something is missing, we have Pearu at hand to extend
> SymPy.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/sympy/
> http://code.google.com/p/sympycore/
>
> But lets start with defining what we want UFL to be.

My feeling is that our needs for a symbolic engine is quite
small. Even if UFL will be able to handle more than FFC, the FFC form
language is just about 700 lines of Python (including comments, see
algebra.py).

But let's leave it open. It would be good if we could avoid
dependencies, but if we find ourselves reimplementing a lot of things
from SymPy then why not use it.

/Anders