Re: [DOLFIN-dev] complex valued functoins

Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Evan Lezar wrote:
Hi

I am working on some electromagnetic problems that require I model the
electric field as a complex phasor.  When compiling user-defined
functions I get an error message.

For example, consider the following simple function:

f = Function(V, '1.0j')

when calling the JIT compiler, the log shows the following error (in the
last couple of lines):

dolfin_compile_function_934f16b21b1210d9244eba2ba7985a9a_wrap.cxx: In
member function ‘virtual void
dolfin::function_91ee55df622466fafbf3ba887ffb745e::eval(double*, const
double*) const’:
dolfin_compile_function_934f16b21b1210d9244eba2ba7985a9a_wrap.cxx:3221:
error: cannot convert ‘double __complex__’ to ‘double’ in assignment

Does dolfin support complex valued functions?
No.

If so, how do I go about
getting them working?  And if not, how do I go about adding the
functionality.

It would be a big task to make it seamless. The starting point would be
having FFC (or soon UFL) support complex functions. I thought about this
a few years ago but never got around to it.

Thinking about, it shouldn't be too hard to patch something together using mixed elements.

UFL question: Does or will UFL support complex functions?

No. And I don't think making such an addition before it has stabilised
is an option, we can't change everything everywhere simultaneously.

OK. Would be good for the long-term goals list.

Garth

Martin