Re: [HG UFL] Changed estimate_quadrature_order to

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:53:20AM +0900, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> UFL wrote:
> > One or more new changesets pushed to the primary ufl repository.
> > A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.
> >
> > changeset:   752:f7cd7676b697d8662d2aae8e9cf0cf68ce0dfee3
> > tag:         tip
> > user:        "Martin Sandve Alnæs <martinal@xxxxxxxxx>"
> > date:        Fri Mar 20 14:18:43 2009 +0100
> > files:       ufl/algorithms/analysis.py
> > Changed estimate_quadrature_order to
> > return 2*v.degree() for linear forms.
> >

> For nonlinear problems it's important that the quadrature order of the
> linear and bilinear forms is the same.
>
> Garth

It seems to me that estimate_quadrature_order() should be removed from
UFL since quadrature has nothing to do with the form language.

Instead, UFL can have a function called polynomial_order() that
returns the polynomial order of an integrand if possible (if it is
indeed a polynomial) and otherwise returns None (if the integrand
contains something like exp or sin).

Then the form compilers can call polynomial_order() and then decide
what to do with the result.

--
Anders