Re: [FFC-dev] [HG UFL] Added ElementRestriction class with notation 'Vr = V[dx(k)]'.

On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Anders Logg wrote:

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 08:36:55AM +0200, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
Quoting Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 10:23:30PM +0200, Martin Sandve Aln?s wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Anders Logg<logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 08:48:17PM +0200, Martin Sandve Aln?s wrote:
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Kristian
Oelgaard<k.b.oelgaard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Quoting Martin Sandve Aln?s <martinal@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Anders Logg<logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 03:32:03PM +0200, UFL wrote:
One or more new changesets pushed to the primary ufl repository.
A short summary of the last three changesets is included below.

changeset:   908:ef256e35e417096ae9b9d3a7e915e27e6971ae3f
tag:         tip
user:        "Martin Sandve Aln?s <martinal@xxxxxxxxx>"
date:        Wed Jun 17 15:32:01 2009 +0200
files:       test/newtests/test_demos/test_demos.py
test/newtests/test_elements/test_elements.py
test/newtests/test_exprbasics/test_construction.py ufl/__init__.py
ufl/exproperators.py ufl/finiteelement.py ufl/function.py
Added ElementRestriction class with notation "Vr = V[dx(k)]".

What does this mean? What is V?

The restriction of a function space to a domain.
Obviously the use of the measure "dx" is an
abuse of concepts, but it's convenient to reuse it.

Consider:

V1 = FiniteElement("CG", cell, 1)
V0 = FiniteElement("DG", cell, 0)
V = V1 + V0[ds(2)]
u, lamda = TrialFunctions(V)

Here lamda lives only on boundary 2.

Of course, this is useless without support in the rest of
FEniCS, so it's only a proof of concept for input syntax.

Feel free to suggest alternative syntax and naming.

First of all, any ideas on how to implement support for this in say
FFC?

No. It will probably require non-trivial extensions to
UFC and DOLFIN as well, and seems like a fairly
complicated design task to get it general enough.

In relation to this new functionality.
If we want to restrict an element, not to a particular subdomain, but
to the
exterior of each element, i.e., only consider the dofs that live on
facets,
would that also fit in this framework?
Should the syntax for this be V[ds + dS]?
But then what should the syntax be for only considering dofs that live
internally on the cell?

Or, if V is defined on 'triangle', then one could do
V['interval'] to get the facet dofs, and V['triangle'] to get the
interior dofs.
It would even be possible to do V['vertex']. If we also allow this
syntax we can
restrict elements with respect to either Cells or Measure.
Could this work?

How can this be implemented in FFC? In the case of V['interval'], we
could get
the finite element from FIAT as usual, and then find all dofs NOT on
the facet
and dump them in a list of dofs that should be ignored when generating
all the
code.

Kristian

The use of Measure to represent a domain didn't feel
right to begin with. Seems like it's not general enough
anyway, so I suggest designing a separate abstraction
for description of subdomains or subsets of dofs.

My guess is that this task will require some
design iterations to make it good.

I won't be around to see this through though,
since I'm beginning in another job in august.

Where?

At TANDBERG, as audio programmer for video conferencing systems.

Martin

Sounds cool, but I'm very sorry we will loose the designer, maintainer
and driving force behind UFL/UFC. Do you plan to be involved with UFL
or UFC in any way?

You almost make it sound like he actually has a choice.... :)

Kristian

I'm saying I'm sorry he didn't have a choice to continue working on
UFL. But working at TANDBERG may also be a very good option, and as
Johan says, Martin may convince them that they need to start solving
PDEs. :-)

--
Anders

I'll bet Martin is more than happy to be free of this ridiculous project and all the looney tunes that work on it! :) haha!

- Shawn