Re: [FFC-dev] [HG UFL] Added ElementRestriction class with notation 'Vr = V[dx(k)]'.

Quoting Shawn Walker <walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 2009, Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
>
> > Quoting Martin Sandve Aln?s <martinal@xxxxxxxxx>:

> >> No. It will probably require non-trivial extensions to
> >> UFC and DOLFIN as well, and seems like a fairly
> >> complicated design task to get it general enough.
> >
> > OK.

> >> the
> facets,

> interior
> >> dofs.
> >> we can

> could
> >> get
> >> facet
> all
> >> the

> >> The use of Measure to represent a domain didn't feel
> >> right to begin with. Seems like it's not general enough
> >> anyway, so I suggest designing a separate abstraction
> >> for description of subdomains or subsets of dofs.
> >
> > I think that Measure might be OK as a first try for one of the restriction
> > cases.
> >
> > Normally, dofs are active in the entire domain, but
> >
> > 1) Measure can be used to restrict dofs to be active only on say domain
> dx(2) or
> > ds(1).
> > The complicated thing here is that practically all functions in UFC needs
> > be aware of the subdomain.
> >
> > 2) Cell can be used to restrict dofs to be active only on e.g., the facets
> of
> > all cells in the domain.
> > This is simpler to handle as the restriction will apply to the all elements
> in
> > the entire domain.
> >
> > Syntax and interpretation:
> >
> > element = FiniteElement("CG", triangle, 4)
> > will have dofs on the facets as well as on the interior, but
> >
> > element[interval]
> > will only have dofs on the facets.
> >
> >> My guess is that this task will require some
> >> design iterations to make it good.
> >
> > Yes, I think so too.
> > I'm willing to give case 2) a go, if nobody objects or have
> > comments/suggestions.
> > But I guess since you are starting in a new job and Anders is on holidays,
> I can
> > do whatever I want :)
> > Unless, of course, this falls under one of his two categories 'simple or
> > urgent'.
> >
> > Kristian
>
> Will it be possible to use this new functionality that you plan on adding
> for implementing finite element spaces that only live on certain
> subdomains?.  e.g. like having a lagrange multiplier that lives on the
> boundary only.  This would be really nice!

What you're asking is related to case 1) as described above. The basic
functionality (to make it work in a first iteration) is already available in
UFL, but as Martin has pointed out quite big changes/extensions will be needed
in UFC and potentially DOLFIN.
I have no short term intentions of implementing this.

Case 2) which I'll be implementing should, however, only involve changes to the
interior of FFC as I see it.

Kristian