Re: Definition of grad

On Nov 9 2009, Harish Narayanan wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 02:05:29PM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 12:58:32PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Marie Rognes wrote:
Kristian Oelgaard wrote:
Quoting Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>:

This is something we've discussed before, but I want to discuss it
again.

Could we change the definition of the gradient of a vector to be the
"normal" definition:

  grad(u) = du_i / dx_j

?

I think this sounds like an excellent idea.

Me too.

Cowards! ;) You wait for Martin the leave and then jump on the bandwagon.

I suggested this March/April, and Martin's argument against was for
consistency with other operations. I think that it's fine to change so
long that other operations do not break or lead to
unexpected/inconsistent results.
:-)

I've had this discussion with Martin at least twice and both times he
managed to convince me of his definition. But I keep forgetting the
arguments in favor of the current definition (and more so when it
gets me into trouble).

I've created a blueprint:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ufl/+spec/redine-grad

Add your comments there. (Harish, add comments on div.)

I will. And there might be something similar with curl too, but who uses
curl anyway! :)

I'd just like to point out that in future discussion, I think it will be
clearer if you used the following notation grad(u)_ij = du_i / dx_j.

Yes, otherwise we could have grad(u)_ji = du_i / dx_j
which would keep Martin happy :).

Garth

Harish