Re: [Branch ~ufl-core/ufl/main] 2 revisions removed

On 3 May 2011 18:25, Johannes Ring <johannr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It happens to me a lot. Johannes has tried to explain to me why it
>> happens a number of times but I still don't understand why.
>>
>> Maybe he can try to explain it again to you and then I might also
>> understand. :-)
>
> I think I just bring up the following instructions (which I think looks good):
>
>  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/BzrInstructions

Thanks Johannes.

Basically the problem is that bazaar numbers commits with contiguous
integers, and when Bob and Alice works locally they will get the same
commit ids for different commits. When you stand in branch Alice and
merge from branch Bob, the commit numbers of branch Alice are
conserved and a single new merge commit is recorded on top there. The
commit numbers from branch Bob are lost in the merge. Therefore, to
conserve the commit ids in the central branch, you have to merge from
your own branch into the server branch, not the other way around.
Otherwise we can never safely use the commit revisions from the
central branch, since they may change every time somebody merges the
'wrong way'.

This problem does not occur with hg or git, because they use a hash
value to identify a each commit.

Martin