Re: [Branch ~ufl-core/ufl/main] 2 revisions removed

2011/5/10 Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tuesday May 10 2011 13:57:07 Martin Sandve Alnæs wrote:

>> > So if I'm Bob and Alice has pushed some changes to the main branch
>> > before me, which exact commands should I write?
>>
>> Depends on how you set up your repositories, where your branches are
>> located, etc...
>>
>> You really have to read up on it and try it out a bit to understand
>> it, and I doubt I can write it better than what Johannes linked to +
>> the bazaar docs.
>>
>> I plan to keep a local repository with multiple branches like this:
>>   ~/dev/fenics/ufl/ - local ufl repository
>>   ~/dev/fenics/ufl/trunk/ - local checkout of central ufl branch lp:ufl
>>   ~/dev/fenics/ufl/work/ - local branch where I usually do my work
>> (  ~/dev/fenics/ufl/somefeature/ - local branch with some half
>> finished feature if needed)
>>
>> One branch locally for normal work, one checkout locally mirroring the
>> central trunk, and any number of branches locally and on launchpad for
>> alternative half-finished work.
>>
>> Then I do:
>>
>> cd .../ufl/work/
>> <work work work>
>> bzr push lp:ufl # fails because Bob has pushed stuff
>> cd ../trunk # should have no local changes now
>> bzr update # gets the latest version of lp:ufl
>> bzr merge ../work # merge my work into trunk
>> bzr commit -m'Merge my work on <superfeature>.' # Commit merge into trunk
>
> Thanks for the nice walkthrough. What you are writing make sense.
>
> Keeping the habit from hg and git I think both I and others have followed:
>
>  bzr push lp:ufl # fails because Bob has pushed stuff
>  bzr pull
>  bzr merge
>  bzr commit -'merge'
>  bzr push lp:ufl
>
> But as you says that will erase commits from the main branch. We have this
> situation in the main DOLFIN branch where the last push erased 29 commits...
> Is there anyway to redo that last merge/commit?

Not sure. If you have the original 29 commits in one of your existing
branches, you could possibly merge trunk into that one and push to get
back to the original numbering.

But probably not worth it. I assume you dont actually mean erased, but
"removed" as bazaar calls it. Then they are just moved to under the
relevant merge commit. You can see them with "bzr log -n0 | less".