ugr-testing team mailing list archive

New UGR release schedule

Hello everyone,

The UGR project has really taken off. With that popularity, there are lots
of people asking for the next release. Our releases have been really
irregular for several reasons:

   - ~ Chris and JC, the two main drivers behind this project, are high
   school students. Their schedules are unpredictable.
   - ~ We had absolutely no idea what we were getting into when we started
   this project, and just started pulling dates and ideas out of thin air.
   - ~ There are lots of unexpected hang-ups and issues. Everyone is still
   learning as far as the programming goes.
   - ~ We want to deliver on software quality, and won't release an update
   if it doesn't work

For that reason, we are laying out a new roadmap and development schedule
that should address several of those issues. This is still in drafting and
may change.

 The new plan

The new release sequence is proposed as follows:

   - A new Major 0.X.0 release every 3-4 weeks
   - A new Minor 0.0.X release 1 week after the major, additional minor
   bugfixes one week after that if needed

Development schedule:

   - Blueprints and bugs must be drafted and targeted to a milestone 1 week
   before it is due, 2 weeks is preferred.
   - An update must be fully in dev channel for testing 2 days before it is
   due, 5 days is preferred.

 What this does

This schedule gives us the freedom to:

   - ~ Breathe
   - ~ Test updates more thoroughly
   - ~ Have time for unexpected stuff

 What about 1.0.0?

1.0.0 was supposed to be out today. However, there are several problems with
that:

   - ~ The system (mostly GNOME 3) isn't anywhere near stable enough. We
   want our 1.0 to be as stable as possible
   - ~ There are lots of finishing touches that aren't done yet, like shell
   extensions, themes, an iso, etc
   - ~ We didn't have time to do everything.

We will deliver 1.X.X as a major release when everything is stable enough.
For now, we plan to have the next major, and a cd image, out within the next
week.

You can see this document on our wiki at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SaneRoadmap,
and feel free to comment or make suggestions there.
Thanks,

JC Hulce

Creator of UGR