Re: Getting rolling for 9.10

On Thursday 23 April 2009 05:42:02 pm Ted Gould wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 17:48 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > So to get things started, I'd like to suggest Messaging Menu integrated
> > into the systray via the new protocol as an Ayatana objective for Karmic.
> >  To assist in this effort, another community developer (I'll thank him by
> > name after it works) is working on getting KDE trunk (the to be 4.3)
> > running on Jaunty via Project Neon.  That should provide a reasonably
> > stable basis for Ayatana developers to work with.
>
> I think that this isn't a good idea for the messaging indicator.  The
> principle reason for that is that the spec only deals with the icon not
> the menu part of the indicator.  If we took the current indicator,
> ported it to this spec, and then displayed it in KPanel -- the menu
> would still be a GTK+ menu.  Which is going to look... okay, but not
> really that great.
>
> I think that we need to strive for a better experience than that on the
> *buntu desktops[1].  I think that the panels on both should be very
> tightly integrated and consistent, and I don't think we can achieve that
> using either of the notification area specs.

I don't think Scott was suggesting we use a GTK+ menu on the KDE desktop. Why
can't a separate Plasma widget menu be written that does whatever it is you
want it to do to? You can still have a common service to handle information
processing for both desktops; the plasmoid simply displays the information
passed to it.