How should we unify notification handling? (was Re: Thoughts on notify-osd API)

David Barth wrote:

> fade_in/out and show/hide should be reconsidered. The Plasma API should
> help make that more generic.

Depending on how we want to unify notification handling, we may or may
not need to use the Plasma API:

# Solution 1

- We modify notify-osd to handle both Galago and KDE dbus notification
  specs.
- We disable Plasma notification handling. This can already be done with
  a config file.
- We develop a Qt implementation of the notify-osd UI.

With this solution, apps send notifications this way:

  GNOME app -> libnotify -> notify-osd
                              ^
  KDE app -> knotify4 --------'

# Solution 2

- We modify notify-osd to handle both Galago and KDE dbus notification
  specs (same as Solution 1).
- We modify knotify4 to handle both Galago and KDE dbus notification
  specs.
- We design/modify a Plasma theme so that notifications looks like
  notify-osd notifications.
- We patch Plasma to follow notify-osd behavior.

With this solution, apps send notifications this way when run on the KDE
desktop:

  GNOME app -> libnotify -,
  KDE app -> knotify4 -> plasma

And on the GNOME desktop:

  GNOME app -> libnotify -> notify-osd
                              ^
  KDE app -> knotify4 --------'

# Comparison

Both solutions provide unified notification handling.

Solution 1 does not use Plasma API, solution 2 does.

Solution 1 does not require patching Plasma.

Solution 2 makes it possible for the user to change the notification
appearance which is something some users will want to do.

Aurélien