Re: Getting rolling for 9.10

On Friday 24 April 2009 12:50:52 am Ted Gould wrote:

> I guess I feel that it would need to be in the systray if we wanted it
> to be consistent with other things in the systray.  But, correct me if
> I'm wrong, there are other things in the KDE panel besides the systray.
> It seems like we're more interested in being integrated with those.
> Which would mean a plasmoid, not a system tray item, correct?

Yes. This should be a new plasmoid. You should not hack the system tray
plasmoid, especially since it is going to completely change in 4.3.

> That all being said, we did implement it as an applet on GNOME, and that
> hasn't been completely wonderful.  The problem is that the nature of the
> messaging indicator is that it disappears when not in use (which is also
> on the table for discussion) and that behavior makes it feel like a
> systray item.  So it does feel a little out of place not being in the
> systray there.

You would have to talk more with the Plasma developers. I'm not sure if
widgets can have different types of display states (a psuedo visible/invisible,
but still has a place in a panel).

At the same time, I'm a little confused. Isn't the messaging indicator also
the source of a message log? In that case, why would it disappear? Do you have
to clear the log before it disappears or does simply opening the indicate mark
everything as "read" and then it disappears?

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project