Re: notify-osd + fullscreen + multiple monitors

David Siegel wrote:

> Personally, I would want notifications more often than not when
> fullscreen-ed in games, while browsing in Firefox, while watching any
> movie shorter than an hour in length, while programming in an IDE like
> MonoDevelop, while working in OpenOffice writer on my netbook, while
> editing photos in GIMP, while viewing a remote desktop, and while
> conducting personal skype video calls.
>
> Whether my preferences match yours perfectly is not the point, so lets
> not argue each case individually. I hope we can agree that fullscreen
> mode does not imply that the user wishes notifications to be blocked; it
> does not even imply that "low-priority" notifications should not be shown.

I agree. Matching applications with use-cases is not the right way to do
this. You might be watching a tv show with a media player while idling
and be ready to engage in a chat if a friend pings you, but you may also
be watching a movie with the same application and would not want to be
disturbed by chat notifications.

Someone on the bug report suggested to tie the display of notifications
to the FUSA applet, so that notifications would not be shown if you set
your presence to "Do not Disturb". I think this is a very nice idea, and
it has the added bonus of not requiring neither application black/white
lists nor patching individual applications.

Aurélien