Re: New discussion suggested: Features needed, but absent in Ubuntu

Here are many bugs that have been marked invalid in hundredpapercuts just in the last week:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bugs?field.searchtext=&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=INVALID&assignee_option=any&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.bug_supervisor=&field.bug_commenter=&field.subscriber=&field.omit_dupes.used=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch.used=&field.has_cve.used=&field.tag=&field.tags_combinator=ANY

Many of these are great usability enhancements, but they are also feature requests so they do not qualify as paper cuts. If you see a great feature request in here that you believe would improve usability in Ubuntu, tag the bug "feature-request" and we can continue to track these suggestions.

David

Joseph A. Feinstein wrote:
There are (usability) features that are absent in Ubuntu, but are present in other operating systems.

I suggest to identify and assess these features, then decide whether it makes sense to implement them in Ubuntu. The similar discussion can be considered for applications as well.

To start, I suggest to take a look at a feature called "System Restore"
(in some other OS) or "Falling back to the known working state" (my term).

If something gets corrupted in your system (on its own or as a result of
the installation of some "not so good" software), it's nice to be able
to quickly fall back to the known "working state" of the system, without
a need to restore it from an existing (or, often, non-existing) backup.

This is achieved by periodically creating (automatically as well as
manually) "checkpoints" with snapshots of the working states of the system.

Does it make sense to implement the similar feature in Ubuntu?

Regards,

Joe