Re: notification for multimedia keys?

Praveen wrote:

> >  i wanted to discuss about this blueprint
> > https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/dx-karmic-notify-osd/specifically
> > the section about consistent feedback for multimedia keys does
> > this mean that each time i press play, forward, etc a notification saying
> > play, forward will appear?
> >
> > if so then it will be useless and the correct way would be that banshee upon
> > clicking play puts a notification of the song being played <--- and this is
> > a bug on banshee bugzilla which is being/has been fixed and now if we give
> > notification for play key, then each time i hit play there will be two
> > notifications one for play key and one from banshee
> >
> >  am i wrong in interpreting this blueprint?

We've considered different approaches. The mention on the blueprint is
mostly to track the concern that notifications related to multimedia
keys require more attention.

We first tried to provide notifications centrally, to avoid patching too
many applications, and also because the notification type (so called
"synchronous") is meant to express immediate feedback. This approach
proved to be problematic, with duplicates and corner cases where we
don't know what to display (play or pause?)

Requiring remote control support in the multimedia applications would
solve most of the issues I think, but that represent a change of a
different scale where not all application developers agree on the
proposed standard.

So in the meantime, I think we're going to patch more applications to
have them provide feedback directly, but may be revert to using normal
notifications, because we have fewer guarantees on the responsiveness.

David