Re: The old "installer getting stuck at 82%" issue :-)

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Steve Dodier <sidnioulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
> The 82% step is the one when the installer looks for a mirror, and it's the
> first step to download the user's locale in order to have a fully translated
> Ubuntu. The locale download part has a "Cancel" button in case it's too
> long, but the 82% one doesn't. I reported this to the developers of Ubiquity
> about 2 months ago, and they told me that it was not as trivial as that to
> get it fixed (i don't know why exactly, but i suppose they know what they
> say).

Yes, what happens in the background during the delay has been mentioned by
devs already, also that during a release the mirrors are hammered which
makes that stage more slow :-)

What about people without Internet connections, how does the
installation/configuration fallback then? I don't think it fails, does it?

I personally pull out my network cable, will that cause a defective
installation? Am I a bad person?

If not having a connection is not so important, perhaps the
configuration/installation of localisation/security updates/whatever can me
moved to after the install is completed - upon first-boot/first-login?

Or perhaps a checkbox in the installer that says "do not access the network
during install" which is turned off by default so it behaves by default in
the existing way, but acts as if I pulled the cable (harmless?) if checked?

Regards,
Vishal