New notification placement

A bit ago I did my set of updates, which included the new release of
notify-osd, which are placed a bit lower than midway down the screen.
Putting these that far down the screen is really disrupting, and much more
flawed than their original position. The biggest problem is that the
information they present is entirely abstract, and disjointed from
everything else happening on my desktop. In the top right they are visually
connected to the notification area, where other system info is presented, so
I am given an area where I can find my system status of various kinds,
battery, wifi, time, and with notifications messages. Moving the
notifications down the screen completely breaks this association, and causes
a serious disruption of my workflow as I try and figure out what the bubble
is related to, why it's in the middle of my screen, whether or not I should
report a bug (I know this one is not a concern basic users will have, but
it's not a very important one so let's not dwell on it), and when it's going
to go away because being in the middle of the screen it's actually covering
content, not just some window chrome. In fact, as I was typing this email a
tweet popped up and blocked right where my cursor was and I had to stop
typing and wait for it to go away so that I could see what I was doing; I
was completely interrupted by it which breaks a core design goal of
notify-osd.

This experiment should definitely be called unsuccessful and notifications
should return to their sane place of top-right.

--
-- Alex Launi

Follow ups