FW: Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

Reply below only went to Brett. Resending...

From: tony_knott_666@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: brettcornwall@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Ayatana] Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:44:49 +0200

> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 13:57:58 -0500
> From: brettcornwall@xxxxxxxxx
> To: ayatana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Ayatana] Regarding Notify-OSD's Position in Karmic Koala

> Here's an interesting quote from a user from the bug report:
> (...)

There is a very important point not listed: users are not aware of the rationale
behind the changes. I've seen a lot of users post messages in the forum assuming
it's a bug (not even a design decision they don't agree with, a BUG, really).

When being shown Mark's message the summarizes the rationale, some people
still want the old behavior back, but a lot of them go "oh... that makes sense."

I think it's important to remember that "Well, weren't you following the Ayatana
mailing list and the Ayatana projects' wikis?" it's not a very reasonable thing to
say to the average user.

The same goes for the indicator-applet, by the way. I've seen lots of users in
the forum saying "I removed the annoying envelope thing. I don't use LAUNCHERS
in the panel."

Keep your friends updated— even when you’re not signed in.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_2:092009