Re: Show real name in indicator applet

Except I may want the panel to show sabdefl, but other software, Evolution
say, to know my full name is "Mark Shuttleworth".

On Dec 4, 2009 5:19 PM, "Ted Gould" <ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 23:54 +0200, Eduard Grebe wrote: > On small-screen
devices like netbooks the s...
And this is the reason that we switched to username, to help out with
small screens.  The reality is for really small screens we'd want to
drop the name all together.

I'm thinking that it may make sense to make it dependent on the amount
of space in the panel.  We can't do this in gnome-panel today, but
perhaps we could do it with UNR.  So if you've got a lot of space I
think the longer name is preferable, but then it gets smaller and
smaller as the amount of space decreases.

The problem with this is the "phone call" support issue. Where someone
tells you to "click on your name" but infact on your system (with a
smaller screen than the person on the other side) it says "student-a" on
the panel.

I'm curious if the fix is to just make the value "Full Name" but mention
in about-me that it is what's going to show up on your panel.  So if you
want to change "Full Name" from "Mark Shuttleworth" to "sabdfl" you
could do that easily and save the space.  Perhaps about-me should call
it "Panel Name" instead of "Full name" or something like that.

               --Ted