Re: Shutdown dialog countdown

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 14:15 +0000, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Martin Albisetti wrote on 09/12/09 20:34:

> >> The mockup is a bit of , the question asked is "Are you sure...."  to
> >> which the answer should either be "yes" or "no"
> >
> > That's a great observation.
>
> That is what Microsoft advises for Windows software.
> <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511268.aspx#commitButtons>
>
> But in both Gnome and KDE, alert buttons should never be labelled "Yes"
> or "No", because that requires people to read the rest of the text, and
> usually they do not, even if you try to make them. (I have observed this
> myself, ironically with people who were using Windows.)
> <http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/windows-alert.html.en#alert-button-order>
> <http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/dialogs/simple.html#yesno>

Well , Session menu breaks other HIG guidelines too .

HIG specifically says *not* to use ellipses for certain options:
 "Label the menu item with a trailing ellipsis ("...") only if the
command requires further input from the user before it can be performed.
Do not add an ellipsis to items that only present a confirmation dialog
(such as Delete) " >
http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/menus-design.html.en#menu-item-type-command

But we disregard the guideline because few members of the UX team didnt
agree with that rule.

So , why enforce it for the wording in buttons too... ;p [just kidding]

OTOH , The session menu lists too many options , of which a user would
use only a couple and probably never ever use the rest of the options.

The menu itself would need a better design , rather than just the
text...  ;)

--
Cheers,
mac_v