Re: Indicators for showing progress

> All that said, I'm skeptical about the obviousness of any unified
> graphical interface for different types of file transfer. And if there
> was one, I very much doubt it would take the form of a menu. For
> example, I'd want to be able to drag and drop tasks to reprioritize
> them; it's possible to do that in a menu (as the Windows 98 start menu,
> Netscape 4, and Internet Explorer have shown), but doing it in a window
> is more forgiving of misclicks, especially when earlier tasks are busily
> vanishing.

That and, in my opinion, reprioritizing is a kind of "advanced" action
that does not really belong to the simplicity of an indicator.

I think it would be fine enough if the "download indicator" was a menu
with one item per download. This item would have a percentage, a label
and an icon indicating the source application. Clicking on each item
opens such application. A last, "preferences" item, would open a window
for things such as reprioritizing.

The main icon could indicate the progress of all downloads summed.