Re: Farewell to the notification area

I like where you're going, but what do we do about interoperability?

There's a hint in your post that we'll simply leave apps broken, stick up our middle fingers, and tempt developers with our millions of users. That may work for open source projects in our repository, but we need to accept the reality that there will be programs that don't conform.

The most obvious example is any software originally written for Windows and running in Wine. Wine uses XEmbed to create its own systray, and the most reasonable place to put Wine's system tray is the notification area.

Any design that breaks this completely would be a regression for the 40% of our users that run Wine apps. So let's not break it.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie