Re: Integrating Application Search & Install

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 11:11 +0200, Conscious User wrote:
> Le lundi 26 avril 2010 à 09:36 +0100, David Siegel a écrit :
> > But seriously, FAYT ("Find as you type") is a simple and powerful user
> > interface idea that we've been slow to adopt, and I would love to
> > explore these ideas further and find ways to improve Ubuntu with
> > find-as-you-type features.
>
> Well, with Gnome-Shell and Zeitgeist, it seems that this is the
> direction Gnome is going anyway...
>
> But the problem is, as much as I agree that FATY is simple and
> powerful, it is also something kinda scary, because the average
> user is primarily mouse-based and typing to interact using the
> keyboards usually triggers a "OMG DIFFICULT COMMAND LINE!"
> gag reflex in most of them.
>
> We should also keep in mind that the average user is probably
> a slow typist.

Well the Shell guys still arent convinced about using Zeitgeist yet but
tracker and Zeitgeist would be very powerful for FAYT. Using Zeitgeist
you could filter the results of searches going by their regular activity
for instance which would make the search a lot more tailored to the
user.
I wouldnt agree that FAYT is scary for regular users. My mother is very
very bad at computers and she uses the application search on windows
Vista. Some people actually prefer it because its faster to type it than
navigating through menu structures.

-fagan