Default to single click to open files and folders

What about that? Are there any plans already to default to single
click for opening files and folders in Ubuntu?

It is way more intuitive to open with just a single click and have the
modifier for the less frequent use-case of selecting (multiple)
elements.

Launcher icons are also activated by single click.

A reverse example: My mother always double clicks links in the browser
– regardless how often I tell her that it is not necessary. Muscle
memory and habit is just too strong. Regarding that nowadays, people
presumably spend more time in their web browser instead of their file
manager, it would make sense to adopt the web standard for clicking.

On a sidenote: I know two kids who changed the click behavior to
single click on their own. They see double clicking as just annoying.

Follow ups