Re: Instant-messaging as an indicator menu

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 10:07, Remco <remco47@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In the Contact List of Empathy, if you start typing the name of the
> one you are looking for, a search box will appear. You'll end up
> selecting the entry. There are a number of problems with this:

Any reason this couldn't work with an indicator-style menu? The volume
control already has an interface where the menu must be opened and then
interacted with, although I'm unclear on how focus would work here.

> In the Messaging Menu, I would not place a list of all contacts. That
> could get messy with 2000 contacts. It's better to just put a search
> box there. If you start typing in the search box, matching contacts
> will start appearing in the menu. Maybe the concept of "favorite
> contacts" could be introduced, so you can have a couple of contacts
> that appear in the menu before searching.

My understanding is that empathy devs are already working on a 'favorites'
list for the contact list, that would show up as a virtual group.

--
Jeremy Nickurak -= Email/XMPP: jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxx =-