Re: Criticism of Client Side Window Decorations

What about just having a protocol for saying "here's something the
application would like to implement", ala the existing indicator applet.
Different implementations could do different things with it. A compliant
window-manager might stick them in the title-bar in a consistent way. If the
window-manager doesn't support it, a different implementation could put them
in the existing indicator applet, or the notification area. It could be a
seperate window, or a panel applet, or a dialog-box.... whatever the
implementer likes.

Handing over control of window decorations to the client applications is
asking for a lot of trouble in terms of desktop look-and-feel consistency,
as well as bugs. Given that there also seems to be better ways of getting
the same features we'd like, application-dictated window decorations seems
like the wrong path to me.