Re: Sudoku: Let's try a heuristic usability evaluation

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 11:51 +0200, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> On 10 May 2010 00:13, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Basically the idea is to put yourself in the mindset of someone using
> > the system, and ask yourself questions.

Been a while since I played so much sudoku. ;p

A few inconsistencies i noticed were:

 * Option "Show possible numbers" is the same as the "Hints" option
[from the toolbar] , but for all the boxes.
suggestion: a better label for that option would be "Show all Hints"
(principle: consistency)

>   * Window opened in full, choices were only shown on the top. I
> thought there was something missing.
>     (principle: Visibility of system status)
>     (suggestion: make them bigger and one choice in each corner)

Probably would clash when a game is saved though.
Saved games are displayed at the bottom portion.

Suggestion: What is mentioned above is a good solution .
+
the saved games to be moved to a separate tab.

>   * You have to hover over the tracker icon to get an explanation.
>     (principle: Recognition rather than recall)

Actually the tooltips are misleading and wrong.
Tooltips for "Track Additions" says : "Mark new additions in a separate
color so you can keep track of them" which is misleading.
Pressing the button does not mark , but just toggles the sidebar.

Suggestion:
1: tooltips to say just "Show Tracker Sidebar" and "Hide Tracker
sidebar" respectively

2: rename button to "Trackers"

>   * I don’t understand the tracker function, seems complicated.
>     (principle: Match between system and the real world)

Didnt understand the "tracker" function as well.
"Tracker" is probably needs a better name.

Or
A tooltip for the "Add Tracker" button can be the one from track
additions button

>   * Highlighter is a great feature (maybe for the toolbar) but the
> colors are weird and distracting.
>     (principle: Aesthetic and minimalist design)
>     (suggestion: use shades of grey)

I too found this very confusing and bordering on being an irritation.
Had to actually turn it off to really play the game! ;)

suggestion: use max of 3 colors. one color for the 3x3 box , one color
for column extending vertically and one for horizontally extended row
and make the borders thicker for the pre-filled items.

>   * »Warn About Unfillable Squares« did nothing for me.
>     (principle: Visibility of system status)

If you play awfully you'll notice it ;p
It does work if you just keep inputting the wrong numbers.

--
Cheers,
Vish