Re: Encrypted DVD issues

On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 18:30 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> Absolutely, this is something we can and should fix in Maverick. We
> plan
> to be selling one or two bits of commercial software in 10.10, and for
> well-known legal reasons, DVD playback is likely to be one of those.

Is it not possible to sell DVD playback functionality which is open
source?

The powerdvd functionality didn't compare well to libdvdcss, even if the
commercial app does tick the right boxes for the the DVD Forum and
DMCA's legal requirements. Thought I believe having a FOSS solution is
criminalised because of the DVD Forum refusing the license a key
component in a compatible way.

Comical Note: who would have ever thought it was a worse criminal
offense to play a legally bought DVD on your legally bought computer
than playing an illegally bought one, such is the humor of Congress and
the DMCA.

Martin IANAL.