Re: Encrypted DVD issues

Le mardi 25 mai 2010 à 18:30 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas a écrit :
> Absolutely, this is something we can and should fix in Maverick. We plan
> to be selling one or two bits of commercial software in 10.10, and for
> well-known legal reasons, DVD playback is likely to be one of those.

But what exactly is the difference between the MP3 legal issues and the
DVD legal issues? I ask this because currently Ubuntu has two options
for each, one legal (fluendo/powerdvd) and one which is not legal
everywhere but given with a disclaimer (gstreamer-ugly/libdvdcss).

The difference being that for MP3 both options are easy to install,
while for DVD only the payed version is easy to install and the other
version requires googling. Making powerdvd available on the Software
Center would keep this problem. The not-legal-everywhere version would
still be hard to install.

Wouldn't this be perceived as a double-standard of respecting the DVD
patents "more" than the mp3 patents?