jam windicator

  hello

Excuse me for not following the windicator discussion earlier too
closely. I just read about the planned categories, and wanted to point
out that the list is lacking a resource consumption management
category, or jam windicator as I'd call it. The icon should show
whether or not the relevant process is causing the system to jam at
the moment. Displaying this information would help user learn which
processes are the top resource hogs on their system.

The menu of the jam windicator should show more specific information,
such as memory consumption, processor and network usage. It should
ideally also let the user set application priority and set bandwidth
limits for the software. It is currently possible to set priority in
gnome system monitor. It also displays some resource consumption
information, but it may be hard for an average user to correlate this
with the applications. An example of bandwidth limiting can currently
be found in Transmission, which has a "turtle button" for slowing down
the downloads.

  cheers, --Toni

Follow ups