Re: Progress dialogs & minimising applications

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Those are nifty. Other variations:
>
>  - small progress bars overlayed on the icons (say, b&w only)
>  - desaturate the icon and have the saturation return from left to
> right, or with the clock-arm sweep, instead of using a colour
>
> Mark

I've just realized I've been replying to people individually instead of to
the list! (*slaps forehead*)

I think the suggestions / mockups were all very cool. I've attached a few
with the Firefox icon but they don't seem to be emphatic
enough - besides the greyscale one which as you pointed out Mark, does look
a little like there's a problem
with the application until the first bit of color is introduced. We could
start with a 10% fill always to indicate this maybe?

I included the original idea, for comparison, one with 50% desaturation, and
one
with background bar, keeping the icon in full saturation. It's barely
noticeable the way I have it at the moment though.

The radial idea is cool, it's like the minute hand of a clock. But
personally I would base on an existing progress metaphor rather than adding
a new one.

The fuse is really nice. I think it could be bigger .. and then I think, no,
it's great as it is. It doesn't get in the way and it seems clear on my
display.

So, the only one we haven't seen yet is the overlaid bar idea. I might give
that a bash tomorrow if no-one has beaten me to it :)