Re: Papercut or not? Bug #495403 in One Hundred Paper Cuts: “Do not raise windows or dialogs without user input”

Hi MPT ;)

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:31, Matthew Paul Thomas <mpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> So when should the window manager switch from assuming you want a
> new window focused, to assuming you don't? After five seconds? Ten?
> Twenty? And how can the window manager, by itself, tell which was the
> action that resulted in the window eventually opening?

Let me interject a few questions..
Focus, Mouse Focus (e.g. for scrolling), Keyboard Focus, raising to the
foreground.. aren't these all different things?
What exactly do you mean with "assuming you want a new window focused"? do
you mean i want it raised above all other windows, or rather do i want it
focused?

I for one need "focus" and "raise" untangled in this thread, this is a big
one for me.

I don't know the exact details of the algorithm Metacity and Compiz use
> to make this guess, and most of the people in this discussion seem not
> to know that there even is one. So I think the next step is for someone
> to dig into the code and find out exactly what the algorithm is in
> Metacity, in Compiz, and in kwin (and ideally research what it is in
> Windows and Mac OS X, too). Only then can we report informed bugs where
> the algorithm isn't working properly, and only then can we make sensible
> suggestions for how it could be improved.

yes, such an algorithm exists indeed, i found this [1].
I suppose that is the behaviour you are referring to.
For Compiz, there are some GConf entries that had me a little confused..
just CTRL+F Compiz in gconf-editor to see what i mean.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/metacity/2007/12/24/stacking/