Re: Libappindicator rejected as an external dependancy for Gnome 3.0

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 18:22 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> As mentioned in
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.devel.announce/101,
> libappindicator was rejected for use as an external dependancy for
> Gnome 3.0. As I understand it, that means that applications supported
> as a part of the Gnome 3.0 desktop cannot depend on libappindicator
> for use.
>

> How does this affect Ayatanna going forward? Can libappindicator going
> to be an optional compile-time component? Is this a sign that the
> application-indicator framework isn't going to see much adoption
> upstream, at least as is?

Well it doesnt mean much really. We can still use it in ubuntu it just
wont be part of the official Gnome desktop. Cleaning up the notification
area is kind of in Gnome 3 anyway though. Gnome Shell does some
indications in the bottom right corner and has the notification area
still up in the top right.

--fagan