Application Menu Status for 7 June

Hi everyone,

I plan on posting application menu updates to this list on a regular
basis. Since we do releases on Thursday and package them up that day
or Friday you're probably wondering why this mail is reaching you on a
Monday. It took a bit to get the bits worked out so we were behind,
but on Friday we got the releases into the Lucid PPA. Ken VanDine is
now working with DX and the Desktop guys on getting this all into
Maverick, so for the moment using the Unity Lucid PPA continues to be
the best way to test the application menu. We hope to have it all
squared away in Maverick by Alpha 2. Here's the highlights:

Stuff that's new:

 - Application switching should work now
 - Redid the menu property bits, so apps like Shotwell should work
now, this should fix a bunch of the "It doesn't work at all" problems,
please check your apps and update the grid!
 - Window switching via bamf: https://launchpad.net/bamf/
 - Addition of debug tools, check under "Debug Tools" on the wiki
page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationMenu

Stuff that's broken:

 - Evolution still broken, bug on startup. Some bamf  bugs causing
things to crash, should be better after this week.
 - Menu ordering still broken, but should be better, if you've
reported a bug on this for your app, please check!

Future Stuff we plan to break

 - We're asking Cody to make it so that when you're running the menu
any app you launch just uses the app menu instead of making you launch
them all from a terminal. This should help testing the app switching
and make it not so annoying.

This release works much better than what we had last week, so feel
free to update the grid and check more applications!  Also, don't
forget to tag the bugs with "app-menu", and those of you who are
confirming people's bugs, just set the status to "Confirmed". The next
release will be this Thursday, thanks!

--
Jorge Castro
jorge (at) ubuntu.com