Re: Fwd: Open Letter: The issues with client-side-window-decorations

On Monday, June 07, 2010 02:54:08 pm Ted Gould wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 14:09 -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > In plasma-netbook, we use a Kwin theme that does not include the
> > application control buttons and embed them in and application control
> > widget in the autohide panel to save vertical space.  Currently this
> > works for both KDE and Gnome applications.  Chromium is the one
> > inconsistent application.
> >
> > Attached:
> >
> > appcontrol.jpeg shows the application control I've described with
> > Chromium duplicating the same functionality right under it to show the
> > inconsistency.
> >
> > chromium.jpeg is the same fracitonal screenshot showing Chromium on KNR.
> >
> > gimp.jpeg shows gimp in the same environment in it's default
> > configuration honoring the kwin theme.
> >
> > I think this is a good example of the down side of CSD and why we should
> > strive to avoid it.
>
> Just because Chromium doesn't handle this case doesn't mean that we
> can't do it right :)  We want the same effect in UNE so you can rest
> assured we'll fix that.

Without CSD there is nothing to fix.  I'd prefer not breaking things in the
first place and that's one small point.  I still don't know what you want out
of CSD the merits all the work to patch apps back into the consistency we
already have.

I believe this has at least all the visual elements of the Chromium U/I layout
done with just rekonq and kwin:

http://imagebin.ca/view/5uEWkq7.html

Scott K