Application Menu Status for 11 June

Hi everyone!

I see people have already begun to file new bugs as soon as we landed
some new bits today so here are the highlights! Today was the day we
synced up everything in both Maverick and the Lucid Unity PPA, so
everyone should be running the same thing (thanks to the hard work of
the desktop team getting all the new bits into the distro). In Lucid
this continues to show up as "Unity" in your GDM session chooser,
while in Maverick it shows up as "Netbook Edition"

Major Changes:
 * The Unity panel now supports the application menu!
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Unity
 * We've removed the need to set the GTK_PROXYMENU variable. Logging
into a Unity Session should now automatically support this, so as you
launch applications they should show up in the Unity top panel.
 * Radio buttons and checkboxes should be working now, however bullet
points in the menu appear to be broken still. (Cody investigating)
 * It seems to crash if you do quick application switching or
sometimes it just dies in the background (Cody investigating now)

Here are the ChangeLogs:
https://code.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/indicator-application/trunk
https://code.launchpad.net/~canonical-dx-team/appmenu-gtk/trunk

And of course, our home page with instructions on how to test:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperienceTeam/ApplicationMenu

Known Problems that we're working on for Alpha 2:

 * Some apps like Evolution still not showing up
 * Menu order can be crazy, menu item order can be reverse, etc. some
KDE apps have an _underscore _in _each _menu. :)
 * Here's the bug list: https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/indicator-appmenu/+bugs

Thanks everyone for filing these bugs! Next week as we spin up for
Alpha 2 will see major work on getting these items fixed, so stay
tuned! Have a good weekend!

--
Jorge Castro
jorge (at) ubuntu.com