Re: Windicators

On 18 June 2010 16:25, Conscious User <conscioususer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > We'll have to think about that :-)
> >
> > Suggestions? Show the ones that most recently changed status?
>
> I think that would introduce an unpredictability factor
> that a lot of users wouldn't like.
>
> Like it happens with the panel, I think we should consider
> that even without the space problem there is the simple fact
> that cluttering the indicator area diminishes its
> usefulness.
>
> I've always been a supporter of enforcing a limit on
> indicators, like the Windows 7 notification area does
> by throwing the excess icons in a popup (and allowing
> the user to choose which ones have priority), because
> trusting application developers to follow common sense
> simply does not work.
>
> For windicators the problem is even worse, so at the
> risk of someone calling me by the Godwin word, I'd
> support even flat out *forbidding* more than a certain
> number via library constraints, not only separating
> them to a popup. :)

Agreed. We think we should be careful to specify EXACTLY when a Windicator
is suitable and restricting the number, otherwise we could end up with the
notification area all over again...

I think it might even be a good idea to come up with a preferable set of
Windicators that apps can use (e.g. sound, save state, connection state,
shared state).

Luke.