Re: Instant-messaging as an indicator menu

Hi there again ;)

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:02, David Siegel <david.siegel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Nice mockup, Frederik -- keep playing with the idea, I think you could
> be on to something.
>
> David

Thanks again, David, for your encouragement, i continued flipping my
thoughts on this..
Unfortunately, i see no way to avoid the inclusion of an "invisible" mode,
so i added it as a checkbox item.

[image: mpt_memenu1_mAVxJ3.png]

i based my mockup on a screenshot that MPT posted on a bug report concerning
the inconsistencies of Me Menu with Contact List.
Here's also another version which offers alternative presence buttons.

[image: mpt_memenu2_5qaY3u.png]

* "available" and "busy" are mutually exclusive
* "invisible" can be active in both "available" and "busy" mode
* ON/OFF switches on the bottom are [SETUP] buttons until the respective
services are configured
* Chat, Email, Blog, Share on the bottom are buttons that open a more
exclusive view/window for the respective service
* invisibility becomes evident from a glance at the indicator already
* detected screen resolution should be used to maximize the menu vertically

MISSING:
+ a button labelled "Settings", which takes us to the new account setup
dialog [1]
+ icon metaphor for "invisible"  in the fashion of the Tango icon project
[2]
+ icon metaphor for "Share"
+ a decent button design for "AVAILABLE" / "BUSY"
+ a "collapse" button for the contact list
+ UI logic model for the [status message] field

To be discussed:
a) What does setting Me to "busy" mean to the FUSA / DE ?
b) Will / can the menu morph into a more dedicated
window/dialog/vertical_panel upon interaction?
c) Should bold font be used generally to indicate ON/active state?
d) Icon metaphors (see above in "MISSING")
e) What will we do with Away? Should it be handed entirely to automation?
   -> what would Away mode mean to NotifyOSD?
   -> would the Sound Theme come on or get louder/sharper upon away?
f) Are we going to use the "Traffic Lights" color scheme for "Available"
(green), "Away" (yellow) and "Busy" (red)?
g) Should we open an extra window for the custom [status message]? Or would
it suffice to afford a "popout" button for that upon typing into the MeMenu
field?

¹ http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UserAccountDialog
² http://tango.freedesktop.org/Icon_Metaphors