Re: Two suggested designs for the Sound Indicator

On 21 June 2010 09:35, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>Diego Moya wrote on 04/05/10 20:20:
>> I like somebody's proposal of being able to drag the closed panel icon
>> left and right to change the slide without needing to open the menu
>> first. This way I would almost recover the previous functionality,
>> although it would work now only for power users like me.
>
> That would still make it inconsistent with all the other menus.

And how is that a bad thing? Interfaces must be consistent to a point,
not for the sake of consistency. If you find yourself removing
functions that enhance the user primary tasks because of consistency,
then maybe you chose the wrong metaphor for that interface.

Consistency is not an excuse to create a bad workflow. It's expected
than different tasks will require different interactions; the
interface is inconsistent only when you have different interactions
*for the same task*. But changing volume is an exclusive function of
the volume menu, so there's nothing wrong with the other menus not
having this behavior.

>> Uh? I didn't suggest getting rid of the system volume, I suggested
>> having volume sliders in individual tabs synchronized with the global
>> system volume and change it (just like the sound preferences slider
>> does, and the Totem slider does not).
>
> Sorry I misunderstood you, but I still don't understand you. What tabs
> are you referring to?

My fault, I meant "volume sliders in individual apps"; the sentence
didn't have meaning as written. What I suggested is having volume
sliders in each application, but all them set the same global volume
and thus are proxies for the panel volume slider.

>> You could add "Ctrl+click" on the closed panel icon to mute/unmute
>> sound. This is consistent with Ctrl+Left to mute when the menu is
>> open, and wold be a useful accelerator.
>
> That would be slower than swiping down to the first item in the menu.

?

How is "Ctrl - aim - click (on the closed panel)" slower than "Aim -
click (to open panel) - aim - click (to click the mute item)" or "Aim
- drag - aim - release"?