Lack of harmony between panel applets

Hello everyone,

New panel applets were introduced to the newer versions of Ubuntu. They
improved the experience, because of their features, but they also created
some inconsistencies in the GNOME Panel. If I remember correctly, it used to
be that only the Menu Bar had associated elements (Applications, Places, and
System buttons). With the new Indicator Applet and Indicator Applet Session,
some icons on the right end of the top panel behave differently.

There is now a lack of harmony, which I described here
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9033/ayatanapanelissue.png . To fix this
issue, we can change the way things are rendered, change their positioning,
tweak how they behave, etc.

What are your thoughts?

Follow ups