Re: General System Responsiveness

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Luke Benstead <kazade@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The other issue is that if some app starts accessing the hard disc / use
> some CPU, everything seems to stop completely. Just now I ran some updates
> while trying to type this email and Firefox started "grey screening" me
> every few seconds. Why? The updates seem to use all the CPU and leave the
> applications struggling to even refresh. I'm not saying this is an Ubuntu
> specific thing, obviously we've all seen Window's "The application is not
> responding" dialog, but I know that I see the greyed window on Ubuntu far
> more than that dialog on Windows. And in my experience, the Windows dialog
> actually appears when that program is hanging, not because another program
> is busy.

I have noticed this "grey screening" a lot too, and it really gets on my
nerves; I have four processing cores, each capable of multi-threading -- no
matter what I'm doing on my computer, I expect the user interface to be
completely responsive. I know this is not a trivial task, but Windows 7 is
currently doing a much better job of this.

-Scott

--
Scott Armitage, B.A.Sc., M.A.Sc. candidate
Space Flight Laboratory