Re: Unity's "desktop"

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 13:07 -0600, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> Traditionally, the desktop is used as a file browser for the home
> directory. That's the way I like it.... but I understand we're trying
> to get away from a "file" view in general...

Perhaps, but I think it more likely that we are headed away from the
concept of fix structures, singular entities in fixed and very basic
groupings and sub groupings.

We've found the structuring to be systematically limiting when balancing
appropriate folder use and user intuition and object concepts.

Although that's not to say that folders and files should go away,
because bob knows that abstracting away files into databases has been a
disaster for data reuse, backups and application cross compatibility.

Something sensible that can make groups into items which are indexed,
items in multiple places (but not stored in multiple places) and
obviously searchable in different contexts with different weightings.
Should I think solve a bunch of problems and open up the platform so
it's not so attractive to abstract into a bunch of inaccessible and
non-standard formats.

Martin,