Re: Browser Offline Message

On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 17:13 -0400, Martin Owens wrote:

> Before I fixed it though I wanted to see how the user assessed the
> problem and tried to fix it:
>
>  . Loaded Firefox using the quick link on the top pannel
>  . Got the yahoo search page (looks like we're online)
>  . Tried to navigate to mail.yahoo.com
>  . Got a message warning that firefox was in offline mode.
>  . Reads instructions to turn off 'offline mode'
>  . Goes to File > Work Offline and unchecks the box.
>  . Attempts to refresh page, getting a server not found error.
>  . Concludes computer doesn't work.

Best solution would be if networking never becomes disabled if the user
doesn't explicitly want it to.

But if networking is off, every network/internet dependent application
should bring up a message whenever a remote source would have to be
accessed, informing the user that networking is turned off and offering
to turn it back on.

One could argue for instructions for the user to turn it on in always
the exact same place, or the right-at-the-moment convenience of an
integrated turn-it-on button. Perhaps both should be combined.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/